Where we are now — Cazhaak Draal, Droaam

Where we are now — Cazhaak Draal, Droaam

Saturday, August 7, 2010

From the Journal of Breyten Tullier, Part 1

The party has been searching for the journal of Breyten Tullier, the explorer who first found the Siberys Pandect and hid it shortly before his death. Nevitash, Professor Burch's assistant, found the journal, but someone tore out several pages and delivered them to the city of Karrlakton. The party is now there looking for the torn-out pages, which will reveal where Breyten hid the Pandect. As we wait for game to resume in a few weeks, I'll be posting on the blog other pages from his journal, explaining how he came to find the Pandect in the first place.

(The first twenty pages of Breyten Tullier's journal describe the adventurer putting together a team for an expedition to the southern continent of Xen'drik at the request of a patron named Lord ir'Dayne, who has a map to ancient elven ruins. He hires Levini, his sister; Fianin, a Valenar elf warrior; Grinder, a warforged artificer; and Annaka, a dwarf priest and member of House Kundarak. They set sail for Xen'drik and after some traveling mishaps, find the ruins, which contain several ancient treasures. The Siberys Pandect is not mentioned until the following entry, as they start sailing back to the mainland.)

5 Dravago (May 5), 988 YK
Olladra grace our voyage! Lord ir'Dayne's map was right on the money — ancient elven ruins not four days' walk from Stormreach, and only a few dullard giants standing guard. Fianin has already claimed a magical totem for himself; he claims it belonged to one of his famed ancestors, Most Feared General Such-and-such, but every Valenar elf claims to be descended from a "mighty warrior," so I take it with a grain of salt. Grinder is looking for ancient docents to fit into his mechanical frame. Annaka's dragonmark glows every time she appraises another gem. Me, I'm eager to cash in my share and see the family in Fairhaven. The only one who doesn't look happy is Levini — I think she's eager to get back to the action and hold back those silver blighters in Thrane. Not me — I've served my time with Aundair, and as far as I'm concerned, the war's over for me. Still, she does appear to like the orb we found — really more of an oval than a sphere, but I'll save the semantics for the warforged.

Annaka says the giant gold dragonshard we found in the trap door should fetch a sizable price to any of the dragonmarked houses, although I think she's planning to slip it to Kundarak first chance she gets, and I've noticed Fianin eyeing it too. Something that big could power any number of eldritch devices or rituals, and I worry someone's going to try to steal it for themselves. I'm just glad Lord ir'Dayne said any dragonshards we found were ours to keep. For safe keeping, I think it's best that Levini hold onto it. Sister's got a safe deposit box at the dwarf banks that even Annaka can't touch — lets her keep her personal effects close by no matter where the Royal Eyes send her.

No comments:

Post a Comment